Thursday, March 1, 2012

Break


In a recent conversation with a coworker lamenting the lack of Spring Break for adults, I started thinking about how nice it would be if everything shut down for awhile. I was reminded of a trip to the Netherlands several years back...
 
My husband and I went to the Netherlands a couple of times for his work. I had the entire day to myself while he worked. I got to see a lot of the country during that time. They have amazing public transportation and are flat enough that you can easily walk or bike long distances. If you ever get a chance you should go. Just make sure you venture out of Amsterdam to see the rest of the country (it is much less touristy).

The first time we went was in the dead of winter. They are much further North than the continental US and have very short days in the winter (and amazingly long, glorious summer days). On one occasion I was dropped off at some city for the day and I was to meet my husband and his coworker back at a certain location for dinner later on. I went all over town and had a great time. I came back to the commercial area where I was supposed to meet them just as it got dark. All of the shops were already closing. This was around 4:30pm. It was pretty close to freezing outside and my plan to browse until they arrived was thwarted. It was an unpleasant hour waiting for them.

I found out the hard way that most of the shops and counter service eateries close before dinner time and only the restaurants are open at night. It was terribly inconvenient at that moment, but overall that idea was refreshing. After work you have a little bit of time to swing by the grocer before they close. Once it is nighttime you can go out to eat or to a bar, but that is it. You are somewhat compelled to relax!

Now, I have complained many a time about stores closing too early. I work a later schedule, so I have a hard time finding anything but grocery stores or Wal-Mart/Target open after work. If I stop and think about it, though, I am inclined to admit that shopping after work is seldom an enjoyable or profitable experience. It is usually something I don't want to do anyway. Even if it is a needed item I am purchasing, I am not likely to make good decisions at that point.

Part of buying better stuff is being somewhat thoughtful about purchases. As I weed through our stuff and get rid of a lot of sheer junk we have accumulated, I realize we could have saved a lot of money not buying this stuff in the first place. The desire to cut back on possessions combined with my endeavor to buy only American made products has curtailed my purchasing. This past weekend I tried to find a picture frame for my diploma. I went to three stores and when I couldn't find one not made overseas I ended up re-purposing a seldom seen frame in our guest bedroom. Turns out I wouldn't have needed to spend the money or add to our possessions after all.

Although I don't think we will ever see a Spring Break for all of us, maybe we could be more accepting of shorter business hours. Seems like it would be healthier for all of us. I have to say that the Dutch are far fitter and more attractive than Americans. A little extra non-commercial leisure time might do us all good.

2 comments:

  1. I keep trying to get Shawn to talk about where we should go for vacations - Arizona, Florida, Las Vegas or Colorado? Yeah...i just realized that 3 of the 4 are probably places we shouldn't go in the middle of summer.

    He refuses to participate because we have a sugarcat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @katina, I have heard Florida is miserable in summer. Vegas might not be that bad since you can walk in and out of hotels and you could enjoy the pools!

      It is expensive, but you should find a good professional petsitter. Ours is invaluable. She keeps a house key so we just have to call her and let her know when we want her to come by. These days be prepared to pay $20+ per visit (although some will discount for twice a days). We've had 2 petsitters and both were able to get along with our previous cat who hated everyone but David and me. A good one really knows animals and should be able to take care of your cats special needs no problem. Both the ones we used would spend some time with the cat every visit so the cat didn't get all depressed while we were gone. You just have to be prepared to shell out at least $200 for a week long vacation (sounds bad, but so worth it).

      Delete