Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Glasses

I had an eye exam back in January. My vision has been fine, but my glasses are two and a half years old and pretty well shot (I wear them every waking hour). The prescription changed only slightly. My eye exam was on a work day, so I came straight back to work without buying glasses. The following week I went to the mall to shop for frames. I was really disappointed. None were made in the US. None were particularly special. All were pretty pricey (I’ve noticed that the plastic frames that used to be the economy frames are now popular and cost as much as the metal frames). So, I decided to purchase online.

I had never purchased glasses online. I was extremely trepidatious. Part of my concern is due to my dislike of the hassle of returning products. I have a few co-workers who regularly purchase glasses online, but I think their prescription is weaker and therefore easier to fill.

I discovered there are two US manufacturers of a complete line of eyeglasses:
A few others manufacturer a few frames or non-prescription sunglasses domestically.

I ordered one pair of sunglasses and one pair of regular glasses. They cost a lot more than Zenni Optical or other online discount sources. It remains to be seen if they are worth the cost. I have only ever purchased high quality frames. They last about 2 years of regular use with lots of outdoor activities. My current frames are technically still perfectly fine. I have never had loose screws or other problems. They are only “worn out” in terms of surface scratches.
The expression kind of captures my uncertainty

But, I am digging the shades!

I am still up in the air about the regular glasses. The nose bridge extends into my field of vision and is about to drive me batty. Glasses are Shuron Regis I and shades are Shuron Freeway.

3 comments:

  1. I think they look good! but then, what do I know? And yes, it takes a while to get used to different frames - mine didn't change all that much, but it still was a while for me to be okay with the black lines through my field of vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way they look, I just couldn't take having spots in front of my eyes. I think they would be fine for wider set eyes. I'm sending them back and getting more traditional frames.

      Delete
  2. I liked the shades more than the glasses. I like to wear the glasses with a fashionable frame but finding the one that I like is a difficult task. Getting a frame that is top in looks as well as not expensive, is somewhat tough. That is why I would like to try contact lenses once.

    ReplyDelete