Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thanksgiving Part 1

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. I love the food! I love seeing family I don't see very often. I love thinking about what I have to be thankful for.

Even as a kid I liked Thanksgiving better than Christmas. My mom and I rode the train from Kansas to Illinois every year at Thanksgiving to visit her mom. To this day train travel is my all time favorite mode of travel. I love traveling by trains, watching trains, the sound of trains, the rocking motion of trains. Also, my mom's mom cooks every bit as good as my mom and I loved everything she made. I loved visiting a small town and being able to walk from one end of town to the other.

When I got married, we went to my brother-in-law's house for a few years to celebrate. One year we didn't celebrate with family (I can't remember the circumstances) and instead ate turkey sandwiches while kayaking around Canyon Lake. It was windy and chilly, but we were the only ones out on the whole silent lake so it was a special memory.

After we bought a house, we hosted Thanksgiving for several years. I loved all the cooking and having everyone over. I loved having my in-laws stay for several days after and eating delicious leftovers for days in a row.

We recently sold the house, so things will be different now. Regardless of where we celebrate, I think this will always remain my favorite holiday. I love to eat and especially love all the traditional foods. I also love the attitude of thankfulness. I think that is why Christmas never wins out for me. Thanksgiving is just about eating well and being content with your life and family, whereas Christmas is laden with so many other obligations. The older I get, the more I try to make Christmas like Thanksgiving. Nothing you can buy can make you as happy as what you already have.

This month I will post things I am thankful for.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait until you get to Thanksgiving: Part 30.

    ReplyDelete