Saturday, November 10, 2012

Thanksgiving Part 2

I am thankful for:

  1. An awesome job. I love my job. I love my co-workers. It took me awhile to realize not everyone loves what they do. If you don't love what you do, find something else. There is something out there that everyone loves to do and that will make you enough money to live comfortably.
  2. Access to great music. Between YouTube, what I own, and Pandora, I have enough amazing music to enjoy for a lifetime. Plus it is exciting to think what new musicians and types of music will emerge in the future.
  3. Opportunities. I am surrounded by myriad opportunities to learn new things and try new things. The internet is a great tool to seek out these opportunities and learn things for free.
  4. Family. I do not have the closest knit family, but they are all special in their own way. I also get along with all of them. I had a conversation about fighting with parents at work recently and could not recall fighting with mine since they were making me learn my multiplication tables in 2nd grade. Perhaps I did and have forgotten, but we certainly haven't fought since I've been an adult. All my family has the foresight to let other parts of the family live their own life without trying to dictate their ideas and beliefs.
  5. Pets. Pets bring life into a home. I can not imagine living in a home without them. I've been without a pet for awhile when our dog passed away and when my previous cat moved in with the neighbors. Coming home to a house without a pet seems a little lonely. All my pets have always greeted me at the door which makes a pleasant welcome home.
  6. Pork. I love food in general, but roasted pulled pork, carnitas, and bacon are near the top of my list. So are duck, goat, and venison. We eat a fair amount of vegetarian dishes which I enjoy, but nothing beats a well prepared meat dish.
  7. Wine. Along with those delicious fatty meats you need some wine. A glass of wine with dinner is a great way to end the day. Red wine has a lot of health benefits and it makes every meal a little more civilized. We even take wine camping (and yes they make decent wines in collapsible bags specifically for backpacking - perhaps the best discovery at the Amtrak station/farmer's market in Tuscon).
  8. Good health. I love biking to work and being active outdoors. I thank God I have always been healthy enough to enjoy outdoor activities.
  9. Washers and Dryers. Most modern conveniences I could live without, but the automatic washer and dryer are not one of them. Occasionally I have had to wash a few clothes by hand. It is a pain and very hard to get them thoroughly rinsed and not stiff when dry.
  10. Travel options. I have personally met people who have not traveled more than 50 miles from their home. I can not even imagine such limitations. My parents sacrificed to pay to send me to Australia and New Zealand when I was in high school. Since then I have traveled to 7 other countries and around our own country a fair bit.

1 comment:

  1. Well put. I don't think I could handle a job I didn't love...that being said, I'm one of those people who cares more about the people at the job than the job itself...

    ReplyDelete